Biblical

] carldent[watermelon

Sep 13, 2002, 6:35:44 AM9/13/02
What do you think about some of the Bible tales of Noah's flood being caused
meteors causing sunami's, not so much a flood as a quick big fast wave.
So there may be some truth there after all.

Starfalcon1701

Sep 13, 2002, 11:07:01 AM9/13/02

>What do you think about some of the Bible tales of Noah's flood being caused
>meteors causing sunami's, not so much a flood as a quick big fast wave.
>So there may be some truth there after all.

Where in the Bible that is mentioned of meteor's in Genesis, or the "flood"

Marion

Gerry Aitken

Sep 13, 2002, 12:42:48 PM9/13/02

The bible is a fake. BURN ever copy you can find before it's ideological
virus spreads any further. Religion is just like a computer virus, it
runs riot on unprotected systems (human brains). Luckily some brain are
incompatible with it, and it's up to us unaffected individuals to fight
the spread of religion. I'm one such individual, and with God's help I
know I WILL succeed!

Rev. G.D. Aitken

BunnMan

Sep 13, 2002, 2:31:20 PM9/13/02
I feel quite sorry for you my friend, I have placed you in my prayers. The
Bible is, without a doubt, God's inerrant word given to us in book form.
Praise His name for that! I, of course, can not possibly take the time to
present every angle of evidence to prove this to you but I will offer you
this to consider: the order of creation.

We may shoot back and forth over the time span a "day" represents in Genisis
chapter 1. This is not an essential detail, whether it was 24 hours or 1000
years or more is safely left to opinion I think. What is essential is the
order in which these events occurred. Sticking to what is verifiable
through accepted techniques of research, and to my knowledge, the land is
the oldest matter we can identify. Rocks and minerals have dated back
further than anything tested through the carbon-14 process. Land was
created on the first day and revealed on the third day. Also on the third
day, after the land was revealed, God created the vegetation. The academic
community would also agree that the second oldest matter to be tested are
plants, they date back before anything except minerals. Next in verifiable
sciences comes aquatic life, which appears as the first thing created on the
fifth day, then birds which follow aquatic life on the fifth day. Following
these are the appearance of land animals on the sixth day and later in the
Genisis account on the same day, man. Now, in my humble opinion, it seems
that if carbon-14 can verify that mankind was the last species to appear,
preceded in order by animals, birds, aquatic life, plants, and the
oldest...land. Then Moses, quite some time ago (maybe 7000 B.C.), either
got this account from the mouth of God the creator, or separated these items
in to testable classes and did some incredibly accurate guesswork as to the
order the did appear. I think we can agree that the guesswork angle is far
too much against the odds to be conceivable. Maybe you argue that I can't
prove Moses dictated these things that long ago. We can still agree that
the bible has been around a whole lot longer than accepted methods of
testing or credible archeology. The odds are still quite extreme against
anyone guessing the classes and order these things appeared in testable
history. I am left at the conclusion that Moses got it from God and
recorded it as such, you can decide for yourself. Does the Bible still seem
to be far fetched and ridiculous?

-BunnMan

Gerry Aitken

Sep 13, 2002, 2:57:02 PM9/13/02
BunnMan wrote:

> I feel quite sorry for you my friend, I have placed you in my prayers.
<SNIP>

Thanks for that!

So you're saying:

1. Land

2. Plants. Which you say are older than everything except land.

3. Aquatic life.

Hmmmm. Yep, your brain has been infected with the religion virus.

Let me recommend a great book and video 'Life on Earth' by David
Attenborough.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004CJF3/qid=1031943067/sr=10-5/ref=sr_ri_b/202-9198989-4196633

I'll have a dig around the net and see if I can find some pop-up book on
the subject, you may find them more user friendly!

Yours sneeringly

GDA

Everett Hickey

Sep 13, 2002, 3:11:31 PM9/13/02
I'm no bible-basher looking to discredit everything I hear, but there is one
point that might be interesting to argue...

If the bible is the Word of God, which version or language is the official
Word, as the meanings change subtley from one to another? I've got three
versions at home (King James, New International Version (a travesty if you
ask me), and one other I can't remember the exact name of)... of course
these are sitting right next to the Quoran, Talmud, and various hindu and
budhist texts. I've even got the Latin Vulgate Edition (the OLD pre-english
catholic bible), even if I can barely read the thing so far. All four
versions read quite differently... the differences are often a matter of
semantics, but they can be interpreted a bit differently and in some cases
almost seem to contradict. Each of these, including the Vulgate, is a human
interpretation from older texts... mostly Greek. Even the greek texts that
the Vulgate was based off of were themselves often based on older languages
(the New Testament was mostly written in greek to begin with, which helps).
At what point, assuming the text is indeed of holy origin (always a required
caveat for religious discussion), does the "word of God" become
divinely-inspired human writings, and at what point do those writings become
human (and sometimes erroneous) translations? And what about all the books
of the bible that were dropped during the middle ages? At what point do
changes made by ecuminical council become human responsibility?

"BunnMan" <bun...@cablespeed.com> wrote in message

Greg Neill

Sep 13, 2002, 3:20:33 PM9/13/02
"BunnMan" <bun...@cablespeed.com> wrote in message
> I feel quite sorry for you my friend, I have placed you in my prayers.

What a coincidence, I have placed you in my killfile.

sssssssss...*PLONK*!

Inept

Sep 13, 2002, 7:24:22 PM9/13/02
Now, now! The bible is not fake. It's a perfectly real and rather good
novel. The fact that some people misinterpret it as "God's" word or
prophecies or laws or something of that nature has no bearing on the fact
that the bible is otherwise a very good work of semi-fiction with lots of
historical significance and tales of morality that are independent of
religion entirely. Very much worth a read in whatever incarnation you happen
to find it.

I wonder, quite frankly, whether in a thousand years people will take the
Jedi "faith" as seriously as they do the Christain or Jewish or Muslim
faiths, etc. Things have a way of getting twisted and skewed over time.

BunnMan

Sep 13, 2002, 8:02:37 PM9/13/02

"Everett Hickey" <lit...@ev1.net> wrote in message

> I'm no bible-basher looking to discredit everything I hear, but there is
one
> point that might be interesting to argue...
>
> If the bible is the Word of God, which version or language is the official
> Word, as the meanings change subtley from one to another? I've got three
> versions at home (King James, New International Version (a travesty if you
> ask me), and one other I can't remember the exact name of)...

These versions are just as you state, "versions". If you read the forward
in most of these Bible versions, it will tell you who translated it and what
it was translated from...usually. Also usually included are the reasons the
translators felt the need to come up with the given version and the criteria
they applied to the texts they used as source material. It is left for you
to decide which reads best to you and which trends of translation you feel
led to. I usually read NIV and NKJV (New King James Version) the NKJV is
transliterated from the original KJV with the Elizbethian "thee's, thou's,
unto's, ...etc." updated to more modern language. I like to consult a few
versions in any areas of question to try to get the meaning of what the
original texts intended, not being a greek or hebrew scholar myself :).

>of course
> these are sitting right next to the Quoran, Talmud, and various hindu and
> budhist texts. I've even got the Latin Vulgate Edition (the OLD
pre-english
> catholic bible), even if I can barely read the thing so far. All four
> versions read quite differently... the differences are often a matter of
> semantics, but they can be interpreted a bit differently and in some cases
> almost seem to contradict. Each of these, including the Vulgate, is a
human
> interpretation from older texts... mostly Greek. Even the greek texts
that
> the Vulgate was based off of were themselves often based on older
languages
> (the New Testament was mostly written in greek to begin with, which
helps).

The Vulgate is a Latin translation of the greek New Testament correct? As I
have learned it Jesus Christ spoke in aramaic but the New Testament was
composed in koine greek. Interestingly enough koine greek is the most
specific language ever to be documented on earth, obviously the writers
wanted to leave little room for interpretation. The old Testament was
written in hebrew. These languages do not translate precisely into english
therefore certain trends of translation had to be agreed upon by the
translating council before they got started.

> At what point, assuming the text is indeed of holy origin (always a
required
> caveat for religious discussion), does the "word of God" become
> divinely-inspired human writings, and at what point do those writings
become
> human (and sometimes erroneous) translations? And what about all the
books
> of the bible that were dropped during the middle ages? At what point do
> changes made by ecuminical council become human responsibility?

I think those versions which are devised and endorsed by one group are
suspect to being "erroneous". This idea takes on kind of a cultish
appearance when one group says they have the only true translation, oh and
by the way...it's in english. That becomes rather tragic. It is certainly
inappropriate for anyone to change the word of the original texts in
translation as well. What we must keep in mind is that these versions we
are familiar with are in fact translations. It is impossible that some
things are not lost in translation, but one must be careful not to add in
translation. Granted it is a fine line, which is why we must also pay
careful attention to the source of the translation. That is also why I feel
best consulting a number of translations to evaluate the consistency and
accent placed in them.

-BunnMan

Starfalcon1701

Sep 13, 2002, 11:23:49 PM9/13/02

>"] carldent[watermelon" wrote:
>>
>> What do you think about some of the Bible tales of Noah's flood being
>caused
>> meteors causing sunami's, not so much a flood as a quick big fast wave.
>> So there may be some truth there after all.
>
>The bible is a fake. BURN ever copy you can find before it's ideological
>virus spreads any further. Religion is just like a computer virus, it
>runs riot on unprotected systems (human brains). Luckily some brain are
>incompatible with it, and it's up to us unaffected individuals to fight
>the spread of religion. I'm one such individual, and with God's help I
>know I WILL succeed!

Say what you want "Rev." Aitken. You have the right of free speech.
Fortunatly, we are not strict Religious government. However, I will continue
to believe what the Holy Bible say, and will ocntinue to investigate it's many
mysteries. If they can be figured out -- but then it may be all be by faith.

Marion

Kenneth

Sep 15, 2002, 5:41:32 AM9/15/02
The version your asking about is the "textus receptus" which matches several
thousand examples of what the church used for the first 500 years. The codex
Vanaticus and codex Senaticus are "slightly different" and although older
then most complete copies of textus receptus most of the older fragments
show the textus receptus as the most accurate. The oldest fragment is from
before 100 ad. Basically we have more evidence for the scriptures and what
words they contained then we do for any other works of antiquity.
Since the new testament was written in Greek and we speak English in many
cases the translation is dumbed down. It's like this, Greek has four words
for Love while English uses the same word to describe either a taste in food
and an eternal commitment between a man and wife. American English is
basically organized grunting compared to ancient greek:)
One other thing. Many things in today's society are written in many
languages. Even bathroom signs come in many languages. Yet despite the
problems associated with translation we don't worry about immigrants peeing
in the corner.
Sincerely
Ken

Gerry Aitken

Oct 7, 2002, 4:12:31 PM10/7/02
Starfalcon1701 wrote:

> Say what you want "Rev." Aitken. You have the right of free speech.
> Fortunatly, we are not strict Religious government. However, I will continue
> to believe what the Holy Bible say, and will ocntinue to investigate it's many
> mysteries. If they can be figured out -- but then it may be all be by faith.
>
> Marion

Whatever lights your fire, baby! I know what lights mine...bibles.

KC5CQW

Oct 8, 2002, 2:18:28 PM10/8/02
I've read more answers from the bible then any scientific report. The more I
study astronomy, the more my faith grows to god.
"Gerry Aitken" <g.ai...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Philip Whitehead

Oct 8, 2002, 2:18:54 PM10/8/02

"Gerry Aitken" <g.ai...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

And I thought the good old days of Soviet style book burnings were gone.
Make sure you have a fire blanket, comrade Aitken.

But, one more thing. To say you are a Reverend but do not accept God's Word
is an insult to all Christians everywhere, and is bringing your profession
into disrepute. You're almost as bad as Rowan Williams.

Greg Neill

Oct 9, 2002, 12:45:50 PM10/9/02
"KC5CQW" <kc5...@excite.com> wrote in message

> I've read more answers from the bible then any scientific report. The more
> study astronomy, the more my faith grows to god.

There are plenty of answers. It's just the questions that aren't clear.

Hylaea Hebetoni

Oct 15, 2002, 4:31:36 AM10/15/02
I do not possess even the humblest of Bibles, and I do not profess to be a
student of same, certainly not from the perspective of devoted faith ( I am
much more irreverent than that since I possess instead, the concept of the
Creation as beautifully contained in the old Life World We Live In series
"The First Four Billion Years" ), YET, in my ignorance so great, I am
continually amazed by how clear Creation is at times, as set out in Genesis.
How well it agrees with the careful clockworks evolution of everything,
ticking atomics... creation conceals its own clockworks/reveals its works in
time... "The days of the Lord are One, only we count the minutes." My
church, my cathedral, is the vault of the universe, and all of the universe,
in it, All in One, One in the Beginning, One in the Ending... Is there
anything more beautiful or awe inspiring than the sky? Alpha & the Omega...
The beginning & the ending... all of the wonder of children with upturned
faces, warmed & painted by the spectrum of light of the colors of that great
cathedral window, we have such a wonderful sky... imagine being trapped
beneath constant clouds, the likes of a Venus... Then again, there's
always... the music of the spheres... Radio Astronomy for the blind...
clever universe, clever creation... find an obstacle, through evolution of
the senses, nature circumvents it, and technology follows suit

Greg Neill <gnei...@OVE.netcom.ca> wrote in message